Friday, July 10, 2015

News to me!

News people that appear nightly on TV are not getting it; what, one might ask?
The proper pronunciation of their area streets of where their station reaches, also locations of areas in the respect of what city they are actually in, this time I did not email them to correct them.
I suppose a few have not been living here that long since they do seem to have quite a turnover and so I am giving them a benefit of a doubt.
I can only think of about a half a dozen on all three network affiliates anchors that have been here as long as us or longer.

So my frustration in hearing them make nightly bloopers has to stop on my end, and it has, although I still cringe and verify with Hubby that I heard what they said and it was, "all wrong".

Many might say I am nitpicking and most don't care whether they get it right or not just that their area gets on the news.
What threw me this time was their pronunciation of our local street where two of our hospitals reside, just blocks from our home, on Olean. 
Now they said, that is NBC anchor Chad Oliver pronounced it O-lean, which to many who don't live here would seem correct, but he is local being a newscaster that encompasses our county for news coverage daily. But no, the proper pronunciation is actually O-lee-ann, he would have known that if he asked, and sadly I do not recall why it was mentioned, see distracted.
Tonight, it was stated that an area of our county called Deep Creek was in Punta Gorda, but in actuality it is in our Charlotte County area that is unincorporated just like us in Port Charlotte.
It would have been more accurate to only say Deep Creek in Charlotte County.There were two car accidents there.

Then they mentioned our old stomping ground of Volusia County, saying it is northeast of Orlando, true, but not as close as they intimated, it is an hour and a half from Orlando to Volusia County cities! We lived in Volusia for nearly nine years! Forest fires there and smoke going over I95 causing shut downs was their news.
Shame on me; I almost didn't listen due to their mistakes! I still find them distracting.

My bad.
At least I have this arena to vent in.

Moving on...

Hip Hip Hooray!
For South Carolina for removing the Confederate Flag from their state house; to many who aren't African American we can relate to any human being hated so, in the fact of understanding it is as hateful as the Nazi emblem or Nazi flag is to Jews and putting yourself in their place is what compassion is, or trying hard to not accept the hatred of any one group due to stupidity. That flag represented slavery to all whomever with a brain who gets that, therefore a horrible time in southern history before we became the United States of America, which we are since then, so it stands to reason to stop the ignorance of not getting what it truly represents hate!
And yes Neo-Nazis would claim that too represents their history, yes of murdering people that were not the same as them, see the same thing, horrible hatred. And their flag resides in museums of history, even in the Holocaust museums nationally, to remember to never ever let it happen again!
Retiring all confederate flags I feel they too should go to museums as well to remind people that human beings should never ever be enslaved or owned ever again! Personally I don't need a reminder but many ignoramuses seem to. As I keep saying we are all of the same race, human! Let us all realize that certain symbols can hurt all of us when they represent hatred.

Moving on again...

And more yays to NYC for giving our USA women' soccer team a ticker tape parade!

On those more positive notes allow me to be the very first to wish all of you a very happy good night and ask all of you to kindly count all your blessings and share all your overages with you know whom and we will too!

Next time please be here or be square, ya hear!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: This is where my three inches went... I think!

Speaking My Mind: This is where my three inches went... I think! :   From December 2023 CT lumbar scan: "L1-L2 level: Severe disc spac...