Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Time marches on and so must we...





The surest way to feel down is to go to your old high school site that posts your deceased alumnus.

No, I am not that maudlin it is just that one of my old friends online mentioned this person who just passed and I thought he might be listed there, the most recent.

Sadly, in Paramus where I did attend school from kindergarten through my sophomore year of high school and then we moved to Emerson where I graduated from two years later, so most of the people that I reunited with online in Facebook are from there. We actually lived there from when I was a year and half old till I turned sixteen that last summer before my junior year at Emerson Junior Senior High School.

Funny how I remember so distinctly that first impression I wanted to make in my new school.
My ole friend with the Mom that had glaucoma and heart condition we're still friends even then, we had met in junior high at the age of thirteen. And we used to do each others hair color and sometimes cut, but more hair color in those days.
And it was just a day or so before the new school year had started in my brand new to me school so everything was a very big deal making that first impression.
So I colored my naturally enhanced with what was called silver drops that were put into the Clairol ash blond to keep it from turning a brassy blond. But after it had been applied and wash and dried apparently I had put too many in, trying so very hard not to want to have that brassy fake blond look, hypocrisy all the way, hmm?  At its finest I might add.

No one there would ever know that I wasn't a 'natural' blond, ever; that is until I confessed years later...

Any-who, all those silver drops made my hair, look BLUE!
Now if it was today I suspect it would be considered a fashion statement but in those days the only ones with blue hair were very cute old ladies!

So in my mind and my dear ole pal's it was a disaster!
I had paid for the dye with my own money from work, at Dad's Eclipse on Saturdays and between buying my great first day dress and all my funds were low...
And so I asked Mom for a loan to send dear ole to walk down to the drugstore for another dose of Clairol ash blonde to try to repair the damage, and Mom hesitated, but came through!

Dear ole went and came back and even though it said that you should wait at least a month, we both threw caution to the proverbial wind and chemically exposed me to a science project repair job!

And thank heavens it worked!
It was the best color ever.
I was told near graduation after making friends with other gals, that they thought it was so pretty.
A beige blond, and no one knew but me and dear ole knew the difference.
I wore my blue dress with my sophisticated hair-do, and many thought I was new teacher I was also told years later... funny, don't think that was the look I was going for... oh well, such is life, hmm?

Over those two years I was there, at Emerson Junior Senior High, I made friends who were partially responsibly for me getting to know Hubby better, but that story is for another time and day.

It was fun being nominated, just nominated for campus queen, and dear ole was too at our old high school, odd how that worked out that neither of us got it. We told ourselves that the BIG breasted gals who won that was the real reason, and now that sounds sexist to me and mean spirited.
Although, gosh, these days I would surpass that criteria, and so much more of me too!
But, ha, that's NOT good!

On that silly note of whatever floats your boat, allow me to be the very first to wish all of you a very happy good night and ask you to kindly count all your blessings and we will too!

And next time please be here or be square, ya hear!


No comments:

Speaking My Mind: What mischief can we get into today?

Speaking My Mind: What mischief can we get into today? :   Drum roll, please...! Famous poetry... "How do I love thee? Let me count the...