Friday, August 20, 2010

Get this...

Just when you think you got it all figured out something changes to let you know…OH NO YOU DON’T! (I am waving my pointer finger while saying that!)
I was starting to feel pretty good about trying to be patient about waiting for the steroids to do the trick to fix the optic neuritis, and the plan was to not get upset or concerned for at least a couple of weeks.
After all the doctor said in two weeks I should start ‘SEEING’ some improvement, isn’t that what I wrote the other day?
Two things happened today to make me wonder about that, I received literature on optic neuritis from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, which states referring to patients after IV infusion therapy that, “ Patients then recover rapidly and achieve most of their improvements by 5 weeks(up to 1 year). Despite recovery of vision normal or near normal, most patients are aware of differences in the quality of their vision. Persistent deficit in contrast sensitivity, color vision, and depth perception are common.”
Now you SEE my dilemma, will I be better or not ever the same?
The other thing they sent me was verification on my temporary diabetic reaction, or so I thought, here’s what they sent me on that, “Hyperglycemia may be described as an excess of sugar (glucose) in the blood. The endocrine system regulates the amount of sugar that is stored and used for energy. It is important in brain cell function, and energy levels.
Taking corticosteroids will promote gluconeogenesis, (biosynthesis of new glucose) or increased blood sugar levels in the blood. Many people who are on steroids for their disease, and develop high sugar levels (hyperglycemia), will return to normal after the medication has been finished. An increase in blood sugar seems to be quite normal for a person with diabetes who is prescribed corticosteroids and he or she should seek advice from the person who is treating the diabetes, usually an endocrinologist.”
Gosh I even knew who treats it, but I AM NOT A DIABETIC!
HUH?
I AM STILL CONFUSED FOLKS, how about you?
PS MY GLUCOSE LEVELS ARE NOW NORMAL, and so I will go with that!

The other thing that happened was that my cataract surgeon called me back this morning offering me a free office visit for my wooziness that I cancelled yesterday with all the agencies I had called including him and my Neuro, since it had alleviated itself.
He was fairly insistent through his assistant, who I finally asked for a rain check, you know me I can’t refuse anything free including medical check ups that should be especially medical check ups!
But you see that was what scared me the fact that he felt that I should come in, and yes he is an MD Ophthalmologist!
I really didn’t want to waste his precious time on something like my motion sickness that has seemed to have cleared itself.

Being curious has always been one of my assets as well as my downfalls.
I just proved to myself again that those who truly believe that ‘ignorance is bliss’ may be on to something!
Darn, though; it is not my way…

I am not unlike the ‘curious cat’ that will more than likely test all of her nine lives.
You know something though it may have caused some bumps in my roads along my way in life but it has also been part of why no matter what, even when I think things are boring in reality they are not!
Just ask anyone who really knows the real me.
On that note of a bit of mystery I will wish you all a very happy night and suggest that you count your blessings and we will too!

PS I would like to add into tonight’s Blog some handy sites that might be helpful to all of you just copy and paste: http://nord.org/ that is wonderful to people with rare diseases that need assistance in paying for medications like me.
http://www.walgreenshealth.com/whc/patientPortal/specialty/jsp/transition_optioncare.jsp?alias=http://www.optioncare.com
Where I found my IV infusions at a manageable price the site above.
http://www.eyehealthcenterofflorida.com/bio-dr-thomas-a-quigley.html
The eye doctor site that did my cataract surgery and offered me a free office visit with my problem!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: My CT showed that...

Speaking My Mind: My CT showed that... : ...my kidneys are fine! So are, my liver, and pancreas I don't have a gallbladder anymore, surg...