Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July!

Here in our lovely sunshine state it had been raining most of the day.
But to all of our more than likely knowledge in the name of celebrations the show must go on and I do believe that everything is still a go for our annual fireworks scheduled for nine P.M. tonight!

Hubby awoke with a nasty cold.
And now I am feeling a wee bit icky too, and that’s on top of my normal daily ickiness. (Tobism)
Could it just be this nasty wet stuff outside or a virus?

In fact as I am writing this Blog tonight the rain has intensified.
It appears to be raining cats and dogs?
Now does anyone know where that expression came from?
Out of all the possibilities I think this one below makes the most sense:
“Animalplanet.com offers yet two more possibilities for this colorful expression. It could liken the racket made by a storm to the thunderous noise made by fighting cats and dogs.
Or, it may arise from the era of thatched roofs when downpours would bring cats and dogs dozing atop houses down onto the occupants.”


Any-who, again my day was pretty much uneventful except for trying to figure out how to make our own celebration barbecue if the rain didn’t stop; at least it hadn’t taken many breaks, but it finally did take a short one in time for our two hot dogs and hamburgers to be grilled.

My backup plan was trying to find our old indoor electric barbecue grill, and I did.
Gosh the thing has to be at least fifteen years old and held up well.
Its oval ceramic on the outside with aluminum insert and a thing that looks somewhat like an enlarged cup of water heater, you know the type we all had them before microwaves you plug it in and it heats up a cups worth of soup or tea?
The top is a checkered board grid on Teflon coated metal.
Once washed up, it looked as good as new, only thing is we didn’t need it, as I said the rain took a short break for our hot dogs and burgers to be made outside as G-d and our nation had intended them to be done!
Although, were those foods actually around for the first fourth celebration? I doubt it.
Look that up kids and get back to me, OK?

Update on that oil slick skimmer: it is still on its way here to the Gulf, copy and paste this site for accurate information: http://www.aolnews.com/gulf-oil-spill/article/skimmer-tested-as-oil-slick-br-likely-to-reach-florida-keys/19541196

I do hope by the time you all read this that you have had a very happy, drier than ours and safe holiday!

On that positive note I will wish you all a good night and to all I bet we end up watching the fireworks on the telly, wait that’s what this holiday is all about I used a British term and this is our INDEPENDENCE DAY from them… ooops, what a BIG MISTAKE that was! Hubby and I appear to be resigned to the fact that we will be enjoying the fireworks on our TV like all of the other rained out Americans will be! LOL
Yes and count those blessings and we will too!

A side note: when we went to the grocery yesterday an older New Yorker employee insisted that the “south’ didn’t celebrate the fourth like we do up north… it took me almost twenty-four hours, even though when she said it I knew that wasn’t true since I have been living here nearly twenty-four years and I let her know that sure they do.
What I was going to say I guess she got the Revolutionary War and the Civil Wars mixed up? Since if we received our independence from the south instead from the British that would make sense, but not really! Anyway, that’s got to be the only explanation for that gaffe of hers. LOL

2 comments:

Laura Bush said...

Very well written article. It was an awesome article to read. Complete rich content and fully informative. I totally Loved it.Performance Polo T Shirts For Sale In USA

https://tobi-adayinthelife.blogspot.com/2019/04/wondering-tonight-about-all-tv-news-and.html said...

Thank you so very much for all your lovely comments, Ms. Laura Bush!

Speaking My Mind: OUCH!

Speaking My Mind: OUCH! :     For some reason I am having stomach pains, considering I no longer have a stomach, just a small pouch, it is q...