Saturday, October 22, 2022

Hi folks!




I'm back!

We were told to evacuate at the beginning on September 27, 2022,... the day before! Several times by texts and phone calls!
But Hubby felt since our driver-side window would not go up, since we came home from the store and reached into our street mailbox..., it was broken in the down position, and he could not drive safely with three rescue dogs and rain teeming inside of our vehicle, and I agreed. 
So he went to youtube to get an idea on how to fix it, at least get it up until he could fix the mechanical portion after the storm passed!

And after several different concepts, he found the one that worked for our van, and it did with tape in blue that held the wayward window stoically in its proper place. I had packed for all of us while Hubby fixed the window... But the TV was still working at this time and the news was showing the people and highways that they were leaving on... and I75 and Alligator Alley were now looking more like parking lots than egresses/escape roads!

So, we chose to stay... after all I had bought a few months ago life jackets for our fur babies, and ours were brought in by Hubby from our boat! 

In retrospect, if needed with the 18-foot surge they said we were to get we could have made it to our boat and escaped from there in my mind! We spent our time waiting out the storm in the hallway and hall bathroom which were all fortified with galvanized shutters around the circumference of our home, our roof had been glued and screwed on a year after Hurricane Irma in 2018! We were in a tight fortress... only water could change our fate....!

Fortunately, when all was said and done we had nothing, once again!

Well, not nothing, the surge did come halfway up our backyard lawn, but never reached us or our home, thank heavens!

Oddly enough, we did get water in on the street side due to 18 inches of rain, in the garage and foyer... which just had the new luxury vinyl floors installed.

We mopped the floor and felt all was well, little did we know that it apparently got underneath and separated the floor from the entrance trim...!

The FEMA flood adjuster that we pay that insurance yearly for, separate from regular FEMA. We had never used it in all these years of living on the water!

He was finding things we had not noticed... like the hot water heater, less than two years old sitting in the water, and the new freezer, less than a year old! 

Hubby's storage cabinets were water-logged on the bottom and descended into the floor!

Our garage door had been hit by a large tree stump and would not go up or down due to its bent-up appearance!

He felt all should be replaced!

He, Craig, our flood guy, arrived on Oct.12, the same day as our Progressive RV insurance guy, John, and his check that, "is in the mail", is less than we thought it would be but he insists it will be adjusted by receipts or direct contact with the shop that will be doing the repairs.

On October 7th our Tower Hill adjuster arrived and did not say anything to Hubby as he wandered around our property! He refused to say anything to Hubby even when Hubby would point out things and ask questions. I do not recall his name, but he answered his representative for Tower Hill, Somer Philips, what a lovely nearly commercial acting type name...!

Her husband, I was told is employed by Homeland Security!

Any-who, they disallowed a whole bunch of stuff even when we felt they were being too harsh and sent us checks amounting to less than $3000 for our fence, garage door, which was wind decidedly, and our garage attached to our home was misclassified, our pergahut two very large trees that came down included in those was my Avacado that I grew from a pit and the neighbor's Chinaberry! Both damage the fences on the east and west sides of the house! The Chinaberry also scraped the one sheds roof and sat on the filter system to our pool, which fortunately was not damaged! The Chinaberry has berries that are toxic to dogs and it is a dirty tree and considered invasive in Florida! Dirty due to the soot that blows off of it onto the white roofs of our two barn sheds! I contacted the owner of the lot with the tree years ago and asked if she would remove the tree and she said no after she found out it would cost $900! 

Well, now half was down in our yard! Fortunately, again an old friend, a police officer in Tampa requested help for us with the tree removal, and Tampa SWAT and Plant City police officers removed almost all of the trees, as volunteers, for free! Number One Son came down after and helped with the larger bases/stumps of the trees and cut them back to where they were no longer on the fence. 

September 27...









Our entire home was shuttered on September 27th the day before!
The day of September 28th!







Now today!







Getting there!













MY MUSES are below!



Lastly, moving on to who they are, our crew...

...3 months and 4 years old


Aussie, say good day!

I am Aussie, not from Australia, but American-made. 
I will comply for its fun, so I will say good day!

I am called Aussie because my mom asked a sixteen-year-old girl who had been looking at me in the crate I was in at the adoption site that day what she thought I should be named. Mom asked her age, but not her name...ha! And without hesitation, the teenager had said Aussie! By the way, she was just looking, so my mom did not steal me from her.
We never did find out the girl's name, and mom liked the name Aussie too. Since then, we have discovered that it is a ubiquitous name, but it is still just right for me! My parents think that I am uncommon, even say unique! I do like that.
I am an Australian Shepherd, a red Merl. And here is an interesting factoid about me was supposed to be a miniature Australian Shepherd, but as you might know, I AM NOT! Although I am now four years old, I am the baby, though I am the largest of the fur babies, and due to my breed and being standard, I am a bit too big, ha! 
I was three months old when mommy and daddy adopted me. I had been taken out of a hoarder's home in the Carolinas with my litter. 
Above is my PIC, taken on the birthday I share with my dad, but dad is much older than me!!! I was the first to be adopted, on February 16, 2018, on dad's brother's birthday.
No tail/tale publishing, circa 2018.
Get it? I was born without a tail, preferable for all Australian Shepherds; only one out of five are born that way!

                                           
Hello, I am Bella, in the picture above, a Maltese Yorkie, a Morkie. I might be six years old.We are all rescues, so no one knows our ages for sure. I am the middle child, so I am what you would expect, with all those idiosyncrasies that go along with that! Being the only girl has its rewards, as well as its difficulties. 
I was turned in by my previous family, stating that I was misbehaving with their elderly dog it had been said that I was driving him crazy! I was the second to be adopted on 8/18/18 on clear out the shelters day!
Oh, my record called me Belle, so for no known reason, mom decided I was more of a Bella; beautiful either way!



Hey, wait! Please don't forget me! I am Chance, pictured above, a Bichon Frise! I am seven years old, so they think, and the eldest, and I like getting up early with mom and Aussie. Bella sleeps late with Dad, till after seven most days, even later sometimes! 

I enjoy a good tug-a-war on the ropes that dad had twisted for Aussie and me, and sometimes even Bella plays too! I was the last to be adopted on January 23, 2020. 

I had been wandering the neighborhood for days, and then I saw Aussie and Bella in their living room window, so I hung out there... 

The animal control lady had been called and came out to see if I had a chip I.D. with her machine, and dad told her that he wanted to name me Chance. His reason is that if no one claimed me, "I want to give him a second chance!" So that is how I got the name Chance!

The Animal Welfare League checked me out and kept me for sixteen days until I was allowed to be adopted. Good evening.  

Easy as Aussie, Bella, and Chance, now you got it! In order of adoption!

Speaking My Mind: Now it's just me with my wicked old brain doing th...

Speaking My Mind: Now it's just me with my wicked old brain doing th... : ...Muddled writing of this blog! Anywho... I have a relevant o...