Monday, August 12, 2013

Realization! Perhaps once again? I forget...



Distraction can work for you when dealing with pain!
Avert your eyes from what you are doing and open your mouth and begin an elongated soliloquy while smiling at a person who had made the regrettable mistake of asking you a question and in no time at all your time on the arm cycle will be over!

Although, not paying attention can, now be very cautious, since this could have been much, much worse, but thankfully was not; when you think you hear something ripping than stop your hands from moving in cycles and look down!
Yep, on the one piece of equipment that Hubby can sidle me up to in my wheelchair, on the runner strip, when the usual seat is slid off, the machine has also foot holders to be a total workout for someone to use the arm and foot cycle parts simultaneously and so even though I don’t use the foot parts they do move and have metal bars extensions on the opposite sides of the footholds and that is what was ripping my one leg of my slacks, but thankfully NOT my leg!

I wear what in the old days were considered pedal pushers; I only mention that old fashioned name, due to it being appropriate for what happened…they do have attractive design purposeful slits on each side, but my right one is slightly longer now, amazingly it just pulled the seam out a few inches before I noticed by that nasty tearing sound what was happening, so fixable!

Getting back to the distraction, the gentleman that I was speaking with is also from New Jersey, in fact next door, one town over to where we are from. And he is a walking, wobbly miracle. You see, he had fallen and hit his head so severely he was in a coma for two months and in that length of time his muscles atrophied! Not to mention his brain swelling! And to top it all off his wife is going through Chemo! And they are married forty-six years to our being forty-two and half this week on the fourteenth.
But I digress...

He uses, at this point, while going still through PT, physical therapy, just a walker, and also does the independent exercises as well before or after his PT appointment, got to give this guy some big cheers for trying to do so well.
And his prognosis is very good!
His name is Dan, the same as my brother’s was.

And that is how I remember so well still in spite of my Multiple Sclerosis, by word association; my Dad was great at that… albeit, there are times, these days, when I cannot remember simple words and yes, that is more than upsetting, but many names I still seem to recall, odd.

I wonder often why some people are not as friendly as others there and at times I let my mind go negatively wild!
But I found out it is me, when I frown people are not receptive and when I smile the world is my oyster! I think my Dad used to say that too, meaning open to you? (Dad was born in 1907 and so many of his expressions were from that era. I am more than sure.)
We all know that smiling is contagious as we can experiment any day of the week, and jokes even corny ones should be spread throughout the land, why, one might ask?
Because … who doesn’t need a good laugh daily! So study up.

That reminds me I wonder where I put those kid’s joke books we had all those years ago? They could have gone with those kids of ours, now 37 and 41.
Oh well, maybe I will just Google a few and you too do it… let’s try to make this world a happier place amongst the despair and horrors that we hear or see on the news nightly or nearby closer…As we all know, now repeat after me… LAUGHTER IS THE BEST MEDICINE!
Sorry Reader’s Digest…not really.

On that note of ‘silly rules!’ and that is why you should make it a part of your daily routine, allow me to be the very first to wish all of you a very happy good night and ask you to kindly count all your blessings and share all those overages with you know who and we will too!

And next time please be here or be square, ya hear!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: Logo... screaming redhead logo at computer with gl...

Speaking My Mind: Logo... screaming redhead logo at computer with gl... :   The picture above is not totally accurate because I take my glas...