Friday, May 24, 2013

The 'Weekend' is here!



‘Weekend’, let’s examine the meaning of the word: the end of the week, from Friday evening, or sometimes Saturday morning, until Sunday evening; simple enough.
Than I ask how we came upon the term, ‘three day weekend’?
You see, logically it doesn’t fit, but we like it just the same, hmm, perhaps even more, ha?

Now, if we really want to tear the concept of ‘week’ and ‘end’ apart we might go a bit further and ask, why not ‘weak’ and ‘end’?
‘Weak’, meaning feeble, frail, puny, scrawny, weedy, pathetic, fragile, tired, faint, anemic, exhausted, drained, enervated, limp, shaky, delicate, insubstantial, flimsy, fragile, brittle, inadequate, vulnerable, defenseless, helpless, unprotected, unguarded, exposed, ineffectual, powerless, ineffective, cowardly, spineless, fainthearted, weak-willed, irresolute, easily led, corruptible, vacillating, faint, low, dim, soft, imperceptible, pale, watery, diluted, unconvincing, uncertain, halfhearted, implausible!

And that is why the other week worked.
Anyone interested in the meaning of ‘end’?
I can’t hear you! Oh well, I will take that as a yes...
‘End’, and what it truly does mean…Goal, objective, outcome, result, aim, purpose, base, bottom, point, top, tip, side, edge, extremity, finish, halt, close, finish off, terminate, stop, last part, closing stages,  conclusion, finish, last part!

So we have what we call our weekends, that not many share unless they have jobs that are truly from Monday through Friday, but few are. Some people have tried to make up their own weekends with calling any two days off in a row ‘their weekend’, how dare they!
Is there a precedence for genuine ones, except those ‘three day ones’, will we as speakers of the English language ever get to the point of conformity?

And as we all know that our holiday of, Memorial Day, is always the last Monday in the month of May, when we fly our flag, one of many of the days we should.
We used to have a tall flag pole that we flew our flag daily from, but the hurricane eventually took it down and it was just as well, since we had a grouchy neighbor who insisted that the wind playing with the flag’s metal attachment was too noisy for his ears, since he slept with his windows open. We do not ever sleep with our windows open and rarely open our windows at all, due to my inability to handle the heat or cold, or humidity, and so we never heard it, and consequently we took the flag down to appease the neighbor who eventually moved away, anyway… As many as fourteen different families have lived next door with about five actual homeowners, the rest were all renters. And since the other home blew away on our other side it is still an empty lot owned by a family in Europe who claim that when they retire will build there.

Moving on…
Today, I was back at the gym/rehab and completed my two pieces of equipment with not too many problems… Although, oddly enough I had a few back spasms in spite of just taking all my appropriate medications prior to leaving home. And so when this happens I must stop and regroup in the fact of taking a break and deep breaths with a bit of a rest. Hubby felt I might want to call it quits, but I said no, I need this so bad; my lament through all these last several weeks, not weaks.
I am strong willed if nothing else!
And so with a few sips of my club soda in my stainless water bottle and a wee respite I did complete my fifty reps with a short break and fifty more on the slant board. The arm cycle had been first again with my seven and half minutes each in each direction totaling my fifteen!

We stopped by the Cultural Center again for a reasonable lunch, I had their small salad and soup, today lobster bisque quite good and yes it did have real lobster for would you believe $4.95 for both, and Hubby had seafood salad and we drank our own brought along beverages his water and mine club soda and all for $10.59 including tax!
Hubby pushed me through the complex to look for that item in their Trash or Treasure shops that might ask to be taken home, but there were none for us today…

On that note or a bit of this and that, allow me to be the very first to wish all of you a very happy good night and ask you to kindly count all your blessings and share your overages with you know who and we will too!

And next time please be here or be square, ya hear!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: Blank, blank, blank!

Speaking My Mind: Blank, blank, blank! :   Empty box! An item was placed in my purse at the sports rehab by an unknown individual. Our cocon...