Sunday, September 19, 2010

Bored, so I decided to surf the net...

Below is information that I gleaned from the Internet about low lymphocytes:

“As you correctly stated, lymphocytes (specifically, T-lymphocytes) can cross the blood brain barrier in MS. This process is called lymphocyte infiltration. The lymphocytes are believed to cause much of the damage (through an inflammatory process) to the myelin sheath (the fatty covering around nerves) of the brain and spinal cord that occurs in MS. If lymphocytes migrate to the brain, there would be less of them in the blood.

The lymphocytes are attracted to the blood brain barrier by special sticky molecules in one of the layers on the blood brain barrier. These sticky molecules stick to the lymphocytes that are passing though the blood. There are some medications (such as monoclonal antibodies; for example, Natalizumab) that are designed to decrease lymphocyte infiltration. They do this by preventing the lymphocytes from sticking to the sticky molecules in the blood brain barrier.”

Fascinating stuff, huh?
It turns out this Natalizumab is Tysabri, which is a monthly IV way of getting MS medication, it is the medication that two of the people I speak with on Facebook happen to be on for their MS, while I am Copaxone. It’s true mine is not supposed to have any other drug interaction and I am on many different types.

That was not too upsetting to me because it explained to me why on my most recent blood work that was possibly the reason why my lymphocytes were low, and since I recently received my test results I wanted to know, my Neuro appointment isn’t until next month. And since the exacerbation was my optic neuritis.
What I am a wee bit upset about is that a few people online claim that it could be my new medication, Copaxone that could be responsible, although many stated it happened after a few years but doctors disclaim this: copy and paste this: to see why I am so confused to see the laymen’s conversation: http://www.thisisms.com/ftopict-6162.html

In the interim I thought I would ask the people out there what they were taking and many were taking other things than what I was taking.
Actually, fortunately there are so many different meds out there now compared to what was out there back in the 1950’s and sixties when my aunt and uncle had Multiple Sclerosis it is refreshing to know we all have choices.
In other words if one doesn’t work, we can move on…I hope.

Besides I did call my support people at Shared Solutions and they will be having a doctor call me back tomorrow.
You know that when I first definitely was diagnosed with all my different types of arthritis I had to know all about them, and since my definite diagnosis with the MS it has been the same way, as we all know knowledge is power, hmm where did I hear that before? Of course; it was Sir Francis Bacon!

Moving on…If you have noticed more mistakes than I have had in a while for the last few weeks it is due to my grammar and spell check being temperamental.
But to be fair it does work on occasion.
Tonight it does appear to be on its best behavior and fixing my mistakes before they get too out of hand.

I am really pooped now since while writing tonight’s Blog all those fine peeps out in the MS community has been responding to my questions and I have been writing back to them.

On that note of polite communication skills by everyone! I will wish you all a very good night and to all count those blessings and we will too!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: Yesterday I went to PT... and the PT lady thought...

Speaking My Mind: Yesterday I went to PT... and the PT lady thought... :   ...I had tPA, which is the older medication they used.. .tPA (Tis...