Saturday, June 27, 2009

Easy distractions

The home-front has its moments of trivial distractions and today I created one. If you all recall I mentioned that tomorrow, Sunday, we will be going out to dinner with our two cousins to celebrate jointly our birthdays that is his wife’s and mine. And so I felt that with the way things are these days I would succumb to my creative side and hand craft a gift for said cousin that I feel would be to her liking. You see, she is an artist and when she fell and broke her hip last October she was in her art class, and when her hubby had his heart attack she began to worry severely, so severely that she told us that she has not been able to paint.

Well, that is just awful in my book, and so my little crafty idea was to make her a sign for her studio in her home in the medium of what she loves ever so much design-wise. And so I tried my hand at finding her a background in the Harlequin style (this took searching the internet for a few hours) and I decoupage on the ten by twelve inch piece of wood we had left over from my blackboard project of weeks ago (my hubby was kind enough to cut it to size, again and will be attaching the hanging wire too), the mostly black and white diamonds with other muted tones and additional geo shapes included in a linear design is behind my letters that I found the translation for her to be in her original language of French stating: Studio de L’art de YSM, her initials and signature on her artwork.

I decorated it with acrylic painted bold bright and colorful letters as well to stand out from the background. At first I just had them, the letters, in a burnished red color but then I thought polka dots would be nice and cheerful in yellow, and it took off from there with a total of three colors embellished on the original concept that was way too plain, but now has personality and shouts happy!

My cousins’ home is much like an art gallery with many collections from all of their travels and it is difficult to find the right gift for them at anytime. My theory about the sign is that this might be the encouragement that she needs to start her artistry again with the claim of that room as definitely set aside for such things and is now tangibly designated as her studio! I hope she likes it, giving a creative gift to someone so artistic is probably asking to be doomed that is because I am more crafty than artistic. I will cross my fingers that it will be well received.

On that hopeful note I will wish you all a good night and to all count those blessings and I will too!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: As I stare at another blank page that I feel I mus...

Speaking My Mind: As I stare at another blank page that I feel I mus... : The only realization for doing this comes to mind... MY SANITY! No...