Sunday, May 17, 2009

Good flicks and gastronomic comfort foods with rough weather to make it interesting

This weekend we watched two of our rental movies, the Curious Case of Benjamin Buttons and Frost/Nixon. The Benjamin Buttons one I had been looking forward to, but my hubby not so much, since he had no idea what to expect.
Surprisingly, he enjoyed the nearly three hour flick to the point that he felt it should have won best picture award over Slumdog Millionaire that we had also seen. Frost/Nixon was a mixed review, in my opinion it was better than I first had thought it would be, and hubby this time was noncommittal.

Have you ever tried to make meal time more interesting? Well, last night I made a chicken/spinach/cheese frittata that was a welcomed change and eaten by my guy with several extra helpings. Tonight for some reason we went all soft and cuddly with comfort food or what some might call bad for you food, deli style hot dogs with the works, homemade Cole slaw and French fries, mmm. You have got to keep meal time interesting; and not the usual Sunday fair, but yummy just the same. And this is some thing we may have only once in a while, believe me!

The exciting part of preparing meals with a thunderstorm surrounding you is that you never know when the electricity could go out, and since our kitchen is all electric it was a race to the finish that we won. We did have a few flickers and false stops that immediately went back on but it was chancy to the end.

We do have a great gas grill outside, but the storm was fierce and even though the grill is somewhat protected it was lightening out there!

I put my walker away in my closet today since it was in the way more than not, as I said I hold onto furniture and walls in the house so if I go outside then I will use it.
I move rather slowly from chair to chair or counter, and so it was a hazard with a small dog and cat in the house and it all being rather a compact space, it looks neater now too. And when it’s not around I pretend all is well, and maybe wishing will make it so?

More bills are coming in from my weekend getaway (hospital stay), and so I am glad that the one major one from the hospital is gone, but so many more must be dealt with, and all I can do is ask to make small bite size digestible payments.

Life goes on so they say, and worries never leave one without our facing them, and so I always do head-on.

On that note I will wish you all a good night and to all count those blessings and I will too!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: What mischief can we get into today?

Speaking My Mind: What mischief can we get into today? :   Drum roll, please...! Famous poetry... "How do I love thee? Let me count the...