Thursday, December 18, 2008

Had a very pleasant day

Today was quiet and nice.
What a nondescript non exciting word nice is.
The definition of nice is:

From Merriam Webster:
Main Entry: nice
Function: adjective
Pronunciation: 'nīs
Inflected Form(s): nic•er ; nic•est
Etymology: Middle English, foolish, wanton, from Old French, from Latin nescius ignorant, from nescire not to know -- more at NESCIENCE
1 obsolete a : WANTON , DISSOLUTE b : COY , RETICENT
2 a : showing fastidious or finicky tastes : PARTICULAR too nice a palate to enjoy junk food b : exacting in requirements or standards : PUNCTILIOUS a nice code of honor
3 : possessing, marked by, or demanding great or excessive precision and delicacy nice measurements
4 obsolete : TRIVIAL
5 a : PLEASING , AGREEABLE a nice time a nice person b : well-executed nice shot c : APPROPRIATE , FITTING not a nice word for a formal occasion
6 a : socially acceptable : WELL -bred from a nice family b : VIRTUOUS , RESPECTABLE
7 : POLITE , KIND that's nice of you to say
synonym see CORRECT
- nice adverb
- nice•ly adverb
- nice•ness noun

I was definitely incorrect on my rush to a conclusion on the meaning of the word nice…WOW was I wrong!
Now with this latest info I do believe that I may have judged other also somewhat simplistic words too harshly and without enough investigation into their backgrounds.
From now on I will try harder to be less critical without having all the facts at hand, and then I will allow my judgment to ensue. You can see how we may have all taken too many of these common words for granted, not me ever again!
Colorful language should be something that we all strive for in our everyday lives; it adds excitement to our descriptions of life, objects, occasions and even daily mundane chores.
When we connote images with lively verbiage we express ideas that play movies in ones mind. Don’t we owe the world such gifts of speech?
It’s free and it’s not mean spirited, but please keep in mind that the term colorful language does not refer to expletives of cursing coarseness or to speaking crassly.
When that term is used in my sentences I am hoping to create within all speaking individuals the want and desire to do better to communicate.
Plain speak is something that all politicians should strive for, but us ordinary Joes need to have more!

Tonight we tripped the lights fantastic and floated up and down our aquamarine water ways with an International cast of crew-sers. Our French Canadian friends from across our canal had their lovely teen grand-daughters down for a visit and we all went for a sunset cruise to see the Christmas lights. I do believe they enjoyed themselves.
A nice evening was had by all.

So on that note…Good night to all and to all sweet dreams.

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: My motorized wheelchair needs a new battery...

Speaking My Mind: My motorized wheelchair needs a new battery... :   ...Hubby found out Medicare will pay for it. Hubby thinks I need a new ...