Saturday, August 23, 2008

Went to our first ever Rib Festival, and it was interesting, and yes Fay is still affecting our weather since she is still here

Sloshing around the park on the river was not that much fun at our ages. Perhaps 50 years ago it would have been considered an outstanding addition to a great time!
On the positive side the view was as beautiful as usual on our Peace River, aptly named I must add.

After my husband and I were done with our shared ribs I said kiddingly, as I got up from our spot under the striped tent set up with tables for comfortable tasting and also to view the entertainment I said to the next seat takers that there were no snakes in the puddles, because I checked. The first woman sat, but the older one behind her hesitated and then stopped altogether.
Apparently, she took my little joke a little too seriously. (BUT I DID SAY NO SNAKES!)
And no, I did not return to calm her nerves or go into a long explanation that I was just teasing; we simply moved on towards our car, and never looked back. My bad, oh well. I wonder if she ever sat down.

Fortunately, our latest band of rain waited until we got back into our Blazer to hit again for the umpteenth time.

Reporting on the Rib Festival itself...in my opinion it was lacking in diversity of accouterments or go alongs with those ribs which were from several local prominent rib joints.
They should have included corn on the cob, sweet potatoes or Cole slaw or other compliments to the menu in my opinion.
The Budweiser bathing suit babes were pushing beer on everyone, and they also had young Budweiser bathing suit clad hunks hawking the ale too.
OK, I do agree for some that beer does go well with ribs, but personally I don't drink beer.
Funnel cakes had their location as well as popcorn, and soft serve, but not a veggie on the lot! Unless you count all that barley and hops in that beer I mentioned just before.

The entertainment was local too, and I was so looking forward to the performance of the Stars of Tomorrow, which had been involved in a fund raiser I did years ago for the Arthritis Foundation.
They are youngsters who perform by singing and dancing and are very talented, but sadly they were a no show.
Instead, forty-five minutes later the high school cheerleaders, also on the list, performed in ancient modest costumes. The Budweiser kids’ bathing suits in contrast looked obscene by comparison, but they were not. To the good of the cheerleaders their performance was admirable considering their having to contend with the puddles in the grass they were working gymnastics on.

Others were scheduled but we went home.
I really do hope it went well for the rest of them since traditions are difficult to start and this was a first for this one. The turn out people count wise did look very good as far as we could see.

It's hard for our organizations to have these things in our summers since our weather is always in question, and our population goes down, since the snow-birds are gone. I know this personally because of my own experience with the help of many others we had a fundraising golf tournament in the summer years ago. Turn out was not too good, but we did miraculously make enough to not have too embarrassing a donation.

Life goes on...
And we must make the most of all that goes on.

Good night and behave, and watch what you say...ones funny might be another's horror!

No comments:

Speaking My Mind: Be in the know!

Speaking My Mind: Be in the know! :   The presidential candidates are tied!   New Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows why Biden-Trump rematch is st...